Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Attorney
Experience:  25 years practicing law

I have a bill that my client has already paid $2000 of $7290

I have a bill that my client has already paid $2000 of $7290 and they now want to change the final amount to $2800. We have renegotiated in the past to maybe 70% of some larger bills in the past during these tough economic times but this was both unprecedented and a surprise as we always have agreed on the reduced amount prior to the start of payments. It sure seems like 'Implied Consent' of the amount to me.......I really don't want to take them to court but I will not eat $4500........

Dear JACUSTOMER - I would agree that you have the "upper hand" assuming this is a valid debt. I can only tell you from a legal standpoint what rights you have in this situation and only you can make a decision as to what is good for your business. The customer would have no legal basis to reduce the amount unilaterally so unless there is a "meeting of the minds" as to some settlement amount you have the right to demand full payment.

Obviously you don't want to lose your best customer however the flip side is the question of "who is running your business - the customer or you?" So you are negotiating from a position of legal strength but you are the only one who can decide how much you want to ask of your customer without taking the risk of losing the customer.