Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.

A bank gave a builder a draw on a contractors full bill. However, the builder paid the contractor short on his bill as the work was not finished and he had to hire someone else to do the job right. Also the contractor was paid some of the bill in cash. Is this fraud by the builder even though the money went back into the house and what is the statute of limitations on the bank for trying to sue the builder.  State is Arizona
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 years ago.
If all of the money was used on the house the builder did not commit any fraud and it was not unlawful for the builder to not pay the contractor in full, since the contractor was in breach of contract for not completing the job and the builder had to hire someone else to complete the job. If it were fraud, then under breach of contract the statute of limitations would be 6 years, but again this is not fraud as long as the money went to what it was supposed to go to.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”