Richard, Attorney
Experience:  32 years of experience practicing law and a businessman.

My friend is trying to buy a house through a short sale. The

My friend is trying to buy a house through a short sale. The bank has told him that one of the signers for the house must remove an auto from their ownership so they can show they have enough income to make the payments. This just came up and they will lose the house in a week if they cannot get the short sale through. The auto is worth about $8000. but they owe $22,000. for it. Is there any way to get the auto removed from the buyers ownership without coming up with $22,000? The only two people who have a good credit score are the two who are trying to save the house through a short sale, so there is no one with enough credit to refinace the car. Are there any possibilities here I am missing? This is in the Los Angeles, Ca.

Good evening. Someone is going to have to convince a friend or relative to come to the rescue. An unrelated party, as you can imagine, is not going to have any incentive to provide financing of $22,000 for a car worth $8,000. So, the only viable possibilities are friends and relatives. I would suggest trying to sweeten the deal by also pledging some other personal assets that you have that a friend or relative would consider enough incentive to help out. Otherwise, as much as I hate to say it, it's going to be pretty much impossible. I'm sorry!

I hope this has given you the guidance you were seeking. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

The information given here is not legal advice. As all states have different intricacies in their laws, the information given is general only. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you