Richard, Attorney
Experience:  32 years of experience practicing law and a businessman.
17027240

Ive worked on a sales commission for our state chamber of

Customer Question

I've worked on a sales commission for our state chamber of commerce for over 18 months. They've chosen to terminate my contract as of May 31. Do they owe me for commissions on membership sales and renewals if the money arrives in their office after May 31?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.

Good evening. Yes...all commissions that are earned as of May 31 but for collection must be paid to you. If they do not pay your voluntarily, file a claim to collect those commissions.

I hope this has given you the guidance you were seeking. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

The information given here is not legal advice. As all states have different intricacies in their laws, the information given is general only. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, I know this, but what I am asking is this: I was selling memberships for the state chamber. I have two companies who because of budget constraints are going to join July 1 at the beginning of the fiscal year, instead of before May 31, when my contract expires. I established these contacts are they are committed to joining and were listed in my sales report. When they send in their membership dues in July, am I due a commission, even though my contact expired May 31?
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.

Unfortunately, you will not be entitled to a commission. It's possible you could explain the situation and they might be willing to pay you all or a portion of the commission, but because they companies have no obligation to join, you would not have earned it and would not legally be entitled to it. I'm sorry!