MShore Law
MShore Law, Attorney
Experience:  Drafted Negotiated and/or Reviewed Thousands of Commercial Agreements
17924466

Can I sue for libel if the plaintiff who is Attorney accuses

Can I sue for libel if the plaintiff who is Attorney accuses me in a filed divorce motion of forging a home appraisal document (I work in real estate)? I am not a party in the action.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  MShore Law replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for the post, I am happy to assist you by answering your questions. Unfortunately not, the accusations in a motion are generally subject to a degree of immunity for a defamation action unless the motion is published or made available to the public, which a divorce motion rarely is. Further, you would have to show that you suffered some injury. This does not mean you cannot sue, I just want you to have a realistic view of the suit. The most efficient remedy would be to notify the bar association.