Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.

Under the FTC a franchisor must provide disclosures to a franchisee.

Under the FTC a franchisor must provide disclosures to a franchisee. Once the franchise agreement is signed, does a franchisor have a continuing duty to update the disclosures?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 years ago.
Once the agreement is signed there is no obligation to update the UFOC for that transaction because there is already a binding contract in place, so any additional disclosure does not void the contract (franchise agreement). Once the franchisee has signed it is presumed that their due diligence was conducted and if anything changes with the franchisor after the agreement is signed it does not serve to void the signed franchise agreement.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”