David Weilbacher, Esq.
David Weilbacher, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Criminal & Civil Litigation, Estate Planning, Probate, and Bankruptcy
16956515

Hi, I have a (single member) LLC I formed and filed in the

I have a (single member) LLC I formed and filed in the state of NJ in late 2009, listing the business address as the NJ I address it was operating from. I operated it for approximately 6 months, then received a full time job in Connecticut. I stopped operating the LLC, and moved to Connecticut in Mid 2010. I continued to file the quarterly returns as required, but hadn't actually been operating the business.

Now in June 2011 I've quit my full time job, and will once again be operating the LLC - However, I'll be operating it in and based out of Connecticut instead of where it was originally formed/filed, NJ.

My question: Do I need to form and file a new LLC in Connecticut? If so, should I(or do I have to) dissolve the NJ one? What are the implications either way as far as my FEIN, any sort of federal registration, etc.

Please include the verifiable source of your answer as well.

Thank you for the help.
-Matt
Category: Business Law
Expert:  David Weilbacher, Esq. replied 3 years ago.

David Weilbacher, Esq. :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I would like to help you.

David Weilbacher, Esq. :

Please stand by while I do a little research.

David Weilbacher, Esq. :

You have a couple of options. One, you have already outlined...you can dissolve the NJ LLC, and form a new CT LLC. Or, two, you can keep the NJ LLC operating, and file a registration of a foreign LLC in CT. Here is the link to the CT secretary of state website with the necessary forms: http://tinyurl.com/3o9p467

David Weilbacher, Esq. :

From a cost point of view, you have already paid to form the NJ LLC, so there if no need to incur that cost again.

David Weilbacher, Esq. :

The LLC will be treated the same in CT as in NJ from a income tax point of view, and there is no effect on your FEIN.

David Weilbacher, Esq. :

The CT secretary of state website, at http://tinyurl.com/495ja5g has a great deal of information for you. Look under "Business Services".

David Weilbacher, Esq. :

I hope this answers all of your questions.

David Weilbacher, Esq. :

Please press the GREEN "ACCEPT" button so proper credit is provided for your Answer. Thank you and have a good day. This answer is made available by the lawyer for educational purposes only. It is also to give you general information and a general understanding of the law. This website is not intended to give you specific legal advice. By using or participating in this site you understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney in your state. We attempt to provide quality information, but the law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance.

What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Sorry for the delay in responding, I had to step out for a moment. Just to confirm my understanding of your response - it sounds like you are recommending filing the "foreign LLC" in connecticut based on your responses re: no need to incur the LLC filing costs again.

Lastly - is there any additional recurring paperwork (tax forms, quarterly estimates, etc) I will have to file as a result of having both the LLC based out of NJ, and the foreign LLC registered with CT?

Pending that response, I will be more than happy to "accept". Thanks again for your help!
Yes, you will have the reoccurring filing requirements in both states, and that could become burdensome. If you are not doing business in both states, it might make more sense to simplify things for yourself by forming a CT LLC. You will find the necessary forms at the secretary of states website. The filing fees you will incur are the same for a new LLC vs. a foreign LLC registration. You can amend your operating agreement to reflect that the LLC is now located in CT. You would want to form the CT LLC, notify/update the IRS regarding the new address etc., and then dissolve the NJ LLC.
David Weilbacher, Esq., Attorney
Experience: Criminal & Civil Litigation, Estate Planning, Probate, and Bankruptcy