MShore Law
MShore Law, Attorney
Experience:  Drafted Negotiated and/or Reviewed Thousands of Commercial Agreements

I will be renting a house to a non-profit organization. The

I will be renting a house to a non-profit organization. The non-profit will be doing all of the remodeling to the home. This home will then house hospice patients that have no means of support, family etc. What steps do I need to do to protect myself and the house? If the non-profit become to large for the space and need a bigger facility can the non-profit come back on me and ask to be reimbursed for the remodeling they have done? I will maintain insurance on the property but the non-profit will carry the liability insurance, do I also need liability insurance?

The rent from this house will be part of my retirement. The house is located in Klamath Falls, Oregon.
Thank you for the post, I am happy to assist you by answering your questions. Does your lease provide that the work must be performed by licensed contractors and that you must receive copies of all permits prior to the commencement of remodeling?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
We have not signed the lease yet, but I will add this to the verbage. Is the non-profit responsibel for the payments to get the permits?
Yes, but this should be spelled out in your lease agreement, specifically that all costs associated with the remodeling and/or build out shall be borne by the non-profit, including costs associated with obtaining the necessary permits and that the non-profit shall indemnify you against any and all claims arising out of the remodeling.
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance or if you have any follow up questions.