LawHelpNow, Attorney/Lawyer
Experience:  Relax. Let's work together. Practical solutions.

I recently signed a non competition contract with a pet store

Customer Question

I recently signed a non competition contract with a pet store and have requested a copy of it. The management tells me that it cannot leave the property. Is this true or since it has my name on it do I have a right to have a copy?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.

Good evening. That is not true. You have an absolute right to have a fully executed copy of the agreement.

I hope this has given you the guidance you were seeking. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

The information given here is not legal advice. As all states have different intricacies in their laws, the information given is general only. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Is there I law that I can show them stating this? I dont mean to be a pain, but I've searched and cannot find one. I live in Ohio if it is state based.
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.
No worries...I'm going to opt out and let an Ohio expert do the specific research for you. Take care.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Expert:  LawHelpNow replied 5 years ago.

Thanks so much for choosing this forum to pose your important legal question. I will do my best to give you some honest and accurate guidance as I answer your question.

1. I am a licensed attorney with business law experience. I will be glad to try and answer your question seeing another legal expert has opted out. I hope that the following information will be helpful to you, but please just write back if you have any follow-up questions or need clarification on anything after reviewing the following information.
  2. "Is there I law that I can show them stating this?" No, actually there is no such written law. It would be a bit like trying to "prove a negative". Here is how this works. As a general matter, nothing in the common law necessarily specifically addresses providing a copy of such a non-compete covenant or contract. In modern times, consumer protection laws and other regulatory measure have created such an obligation by statute. For example, Ohio Revised Code Chapter 5313 imposes an obligation upon a seller of realty to permit a copy of a land installment contract to be filed with the local County Recorders Office at the expense and discretion of the buyer. However, no such statutory provision applies to the scenario you have described. Such simply does not exist. Now, since the management is the party claiming that the law prohibits the contract from leaving the premises, in turn they bear the burden of proving their assertion. In other words, ask them to show you a copy of this purported law and/or provide you with the statutory citation. So, the botXXXXX XXXXXne is that I cannot show you any written law to support their contention. The reason I cannot do so is that such a law does not exist.
  3. I hope that makes sense, but please do not hesitate to write back if needed. I shall be signing off soon to attend to some other professional obligations. Please rest assured, however, that I will be sure to check for any updated posts from you when I return to this online forum. I hope all works out.

I hope that this information has been helpful to you. If we can be of any further assistance please free to use our service again. Best wishes for a successful outcome.

If my answer has been helpful to you, please click "ACCEPT" so that I may be paid. This is the only way that I will receive compensation for the work performed. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done. Clicking "FEEDBACK" to leave your positive comments is always greatly appreciated.

The information provided is general in nature only and should not be construed as legal advice. By using this forum, you acknowledge that no attorney-client relationship has been created between you and Benjamin M. Burt, Jr., Esq. You should always consult with a lawyer in your state.

LawHelpNow, Attorney/Lawyer
Experience: Relax. Let's work together. Practical solutions.