Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.

I am giving my 2 weeks notice tomorrow due to the fact that

I am giving my 2 weeks notice tomorrow due to the fact that I have been harassed and discriminated against. I am wondering if I should need to (which I am not sure if I do or dont at this point). Will I be eligible for unemployment benefits?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 years ago.
If you can prove the harassment was based on your age/race/sex/disability only then you should file a complaint with the EEOC first. Also, be aware if you give 2 week notice they can terminate you immediately and you need to be aware of that and that under Texas law unused vacation time does not have to be paid out upon termination unless there is a written policy. If you are able to prove the discrimination and harassment was based only on your age/race/sex/disability then you would be eligible for unemployment.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have been harassed since the day I got back from being off for workers comp. My boss has been making up stories that I didnt do, trying to get me fired. He has not offered me any sympathy on my injured hand, if not had me work more. Whould that qualify?
He is not obligated to offer you sympathy. However, if you can show this harassment is based on your filing a workers compensation claim or him treating you as permanently disabled, then you have a valid harassment/retaliation claim and you need to get to a local employment law attorney for evaluation of your evidence and you SHOULD NOT just give your notice right now because many attorneys want the employee to continue working while they bring suit for retaliation and possibly discrimination.