Richard, Attorney
Experience:  32 years of experience practicing law and a businessman.
17027240

What happens to the statutory obligations (such as back pay

Customer Question

What happens to the statutory obligations (such as back pay and employee termination clauses) under such section 1002 when a corporation sells all its assets and has no funds to settle employee and vendor claims. Can they still sell the assets?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.

Good afternoon. The corporation can sell assets, but the assets cannot be sold for less than fair market value so as to defraud creditors..both employees and other vendors. The sale of assets simply result in an exchange of assets for cash and doesn't reduce the corporation's net assets, and is likely to give the corporation more liquidity to enable it to pay some of these claims.

I hope this has given you the guidance you were seeking. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

The information given here is not legal advice. As all states have different intricacies in their laws, the information given is general only. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The issue then is who determines fair market value and how is it determined if the corporation is selling off its subsidiary.
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.
If a claim is brought by the employees or creditors to contest such sale on the grounds that the assets were sold at less than fair market value thereby depriving the employees and/or creditors of their claims, the court will make the ruling relying on independent third party appraisers.