Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  16 years practicing attorney, JD, BA, MBA
19958803

I run an Arizona corporation which does no business outside

I run an Arizona corporation which does no business outside of that State. I just got an Order from California, requiring me to withold a specified amount from one of my employees' wages & forward it to California. Can California require an Arizona corporation to do this, or must it apply to Arizona. What liabilities do I face in complying with an order from a foreign State?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 5 years ago.

.

The short answer is yes, they can do this, but not the way they are trying to. For the order from CA to be enforceable in AZ, the order must first be "domesticated" in AZ. This means that the holder of the order must first register a certified copy of it with the court in AZ so AZ can then legally enforce it under the Uniform Interstate Family Support Act.

.

So the long and short of it is that until you get an order from AZ telling you to withhold the wages, you don't have to do it. CA orders are not enforceable in AZ until they are domesticated.

.

.

thanks

.

If I have answered your question, PLEASE CLICK THE GREEN "ACCEPT" button NOW, so that I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are optional and greatly appreciated. Please keep in mind that I don't make the laws, I am just reporting/interpreting them, so the outcome may not be what you had hoped for.

.

There may be a time lag between my replies as I am typically working with several customers at any given time, but rest assured, I will get back with you as soon as I am able.

.

If you need additional clarification on this question, just click "Reply" and I will be happy to help you. Please give me as much detail as you can so that I can respond after receiving all the relevant details.