Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Practicing for over 20 years and helped a number of businesses with litigation.

Hello, I have a problem. I joined a company that is in London

Hello, I have a problem. I joined a company that is in London (I am in Miami), by the internet which they offered a job in cashing checks and sending the funds to them. They sent me two checks for two different amounts and I had to cash them in my bank. Once I have done that I would transfer the money by western union to the places they indicated. Problem is now my bank is charging me the checks I cashed because they had no funds. The bank did not see that and cashed my checks anyways. How is that my fault if I had no idea that the checks had no funds. Do I still have to pay them even though it was the banks fault that didn't notice?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 5 years ago.
Yes, you still have to pay them. This is a scam, as you found out, but the law is clear that if you present the checks for payment and they are paid then you are responsible when they come back. The banks do not verify funds on every check.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. As you know, we work on the honor system here and cannot always provide you answers that you like. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work and leave feedback if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. I believe in giving information that is to the point, but please remember that I can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions or for clarifications. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Several customers have asked how they direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to provide information for you just put “FOR JD 1992” in the subject line and I will pick up the next time I am online.