MShore Law
MShore Law, Attorney
Experience:  Drafted Negotiated and/or Reviewed Thousands of Commercial Agreements
17924466

More and more state legislatures are enacting mandatory seatbelt

Customer Question

More and more state legislatures are enacting mandatory seatbelt laws for drivers of automobiles. Many of the statutes state that if an occupant of the car (driver or otherwise) is not wearing a seatbelt at the time of an automobile accident, then that occupant may not recover civil damages from the party who caused or created the accident. What public policy reason would be behind such a law? Would this law be effective and achieve its goal to any degree?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  MShore Law replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for the post, I am happy to assist you by answering your questions. The public policy behind the law is contributory negligence, meaning by virtue of not wearing the seatbelt the injured party contributed to his own injury as the injury was very likely caused or worsened by the failure to wear a seatbelt. These laws have been effective in compelling seat belt use (no one wants to pay a fine for failing to wear a seatbelt when the fines exceed $50). Please let me know if you have any follow up questions.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Can you elaborate on how you found the answer quality lacking? Specifically, what exactly would you like to know?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
can you please elaborate a little more I think $40.00 is very steep for such a short answer
It would be very helpful if you can tell me exactly what you would like to know.