Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
10285032

as a independent contractor do i have the right to charge interest

as a independent contractor do i have the right to charge interest on past due payments for services rendered?
If you have put a late payment fee or interest in your contract with them, then you can charge them. If you did not have a written contract then when you send your next bill you need to put on the bill that failure to pay within 30 days will incur interest at a rate of 18%-20% (that is considered average) for any payment later than 30 days from the invoice.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Despite my earnest and patient attempts to collect payment for the above referenced invoice, payment has not been made. Thus, payment for this invoice is more than 30 days past due. You were given, a two (2) week grace period to make payment.
Therefore, I regret to inform you that, due to non-payment, a significant amount of late fee charges have accrued. A 10% late fee is accrued per day following the two (2) week grace period.
I am informing you that this is your First and Final Notice and LAST opportunity to make payment. Unless I receive a check in the amount of $ 3,263.30, on or by 26 May 2011, I will have no choice but to immediately pursue legal action against you and/or your agency. And, this invoice will continue to accrue additional late fee charges until payment is made in full. And, you and/or your agency will also be liable for any/all attorney fees and court costs.
Please refer to the attached document for a breakdown of all the late fees that have been applied.
If you have any questions or would like to make payment arrangements, contact the undersigned, at the number above, immediately.
Thank You for your attention to this matter.
**********************************************************************
Above is the body of my collections letter.....can you tell me if this was sufficient and legal?
Your letter is written quite well and it does indeed clearly inform them of the situation. The only change: "Therefore, I regret to inform you if you do not make payment within ten (10) business days, a 10% late fee will be incurred per day following the ten (10) business day grace period.