Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  16 years practicing attorney, JD, BA, MBA
19958803

I have an Offer to Purchase that I want to give a seller of

I have an Offer to Purchase that I want to give a seller of a small business. However, I will be forming a corporation and want it to buy the business. Since it is not formed yet, the Offer has my name and the assignment wording of: "xxxxxx xxxxxx and/or assigns". Is this language sufficient to show that the corporation, not me personally, is buying the business? Or, should I wait until the corporation has its identity? The broker said the "assigns" wording is sufficient. Thanks, xxxxxx

.

Yes, including the language "and/or assigns" would legally allow you to transfer the contract to another entity to complete the purchase. I have had an identical transaction a few weeks ago where the initial buyer was personally on the purchase contract and we later just amended the paperwork to reflect that it was his LLC that was to be the ending actual purchaser.

.

The seller won't care who is the ending purchaser, so shouldn't object to amending the contract once the corp. is legally formed. I would suggest making them aware of this just as a courtesy though. (my buyer didn't, but it didn't matter to my seller as they still received the purchase money.

.

If you didn't want to bother with amending the purchase contract, you could just specify that the deed was to be titled to the corp. once you get it formed. Closings usually take several weeks or even sometimes months, so you should have plenty of time to get your corp officially formed in that time.

.

.

thanks

.

If I have answered your question, PLEASE CLICK THE GREEN "ACCEPT" button NOW, so that I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are optional and greatly appreciated. Please keep in mind that I don't make the laws, I am just reporting/interpreting them, so the outcome may not be what you had hoped for.

.

There may be a time lag between my replies as I am typically working with several customers at any given time, but rest assured, I will get back with you as soon as I am able.

.

If you need additional clarification on this question, just click "Reply" and I will be happy to help you. Please give me as much detail as you can so that I can respond after receiving all the relevant details.