Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
10285032

Not sure what more detail is needed, if your job is transfered

Not sure what more detail is needed, if your job is transfered and you are not able to transfer with it, yet you are provided a position within the company for same salary, yet your general compensation package has been altered by approx 28% and the job they have offered you is not one you would have normally applied for because you find it less or undesirable and you have also now lost your title, can you request to be staff reduced, IE, laid off, and expect to receive your companies normal severance package without prejudiced? I guess as a follow up, what if they refuse, what is my recourse?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 years ago.
If they are not paying for your move and there is a reduction in pay, you can request a lay off and seek a severance agreement and still be eligible for unemployment benefits. An employee is not expected to pack up and move for a job unless the company is offering to pay for the move and at similar pay (generally within 25% of their current pay if there is a reduction).

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Does this still stand true if they are offering a local position, not the one you currently held but for the same pay, yet your total compensation is adjusted by 20% or more, also even if not a pay issue, what if they are only offering you one job that you do not desire are you forced to take it even if pay was equal?
No, if they are offering a local position that is within 25%-33% of your current pay (for a decrease) then unemployment generally considers your refusal to take the position as being without good cause. What we suggest in these cases is take the job and begin looking for a new one and do not agree to sign any non-compete agreements.