MDLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Experience in business law, contract law and related matters.

I am about to file a small claims action in Tampa, Florida.

Customer Question

I am about to file a small claims action in Tampa, Florida. The paperwork indicates that the limit for small claims is $5000. On a site called "Florida State Courts" there is this quote:

"A small claims case is a legal action filed in county court to settle minor legal disputes among parties where the dollar amount involved is $5,000 or less, excluding costs, interest, and attorneys' fees."

We have a delinquent account of $4400.00. We are charging interest and collections costs which exceed the $5000 limit.

The question I have is "What is the maximum amount we can sue for in small claims court in Hillsborough County Florida?"
Category: Business Law
Expert:  MDLaw replied 5 years ago.
The maximum is $5000, excluding court costs and interest.

If this has answered your question, please remember to hit the ACCEPT button as that is the only way that we are compensated for our time, research, and expertise. We do not get paid by the JA website.