Ellen, Attorney
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.

We had to let go an a hair stylist for heavy drinking while

We had to let go an a hair stylist for heavy drinking while on the job and working on a client... when we discovered this abusive behavior we let him go... we are now attempting to figure out HOW we are going to return his tools of the trade that stylist bring with them like brushes, scissors, a cutting chair etc. their license... How can we do this legally without him coming to the salon. We do not want to be responsible for his stuff or have him say in any way we did not return everything... how do we protect ourselves? .
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 5 years ago.

So sorry to hear of your difficult situation. If my answer is not clear to you, I encourage you to ask me for clarification by using the reply button.

You will need to retain local counsel to act as an intermediary. Your counsel can contact the stylist to arrange for the stylist to pick up his tools of the trade at the attorneys office. The attorney would then have the stylist sign a release.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Is there a less expense way... because we have no way getting the money back from him and we don't have the extra funds. Can we have him pay the attorney?
Expert:  Ellen replied 5 years ago.
You can have a 3rd party act as an intermediary. However the cost of having an attorney act as the intermediary would typically be under $500 and would typically be preferable
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Last question then I will accept... can we have him pay for the attorney?
Expert:  Ellen replied 5 years ago.
Yes you can require that he pay the attorney