Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.

My question deals with successor lender liability. The bank

My question deals with successor lender liability. The bank failed, the FDIC was named receiver, and the loan was sold to a new corporation of which the FDIC (as corporate) is the majority owner. I filed suit against the bank prior to its failure for breach of contract. My documents satisfy the D'oench Duhme Doctrine. The lawsuit was active when the new corporation purchased the loan. Now, the new corporation claims no responsibility, knowledge, or documents as it relates to the loan except the promissory note and guarantees. Can you point me in a good direction to find helpful successor lender case law? Thanks in advance.
The new corporation can claim no knowledge of the prior bank's actions because they are a new corporation, even though your suit was filed before the failure. I actually did spend some time researching case law for this for an actual client of mine (which incidentally costs attorneys about $160 per hour for the database services for the research which you can do for free at your court's law library), not just in MO and the federal courts, but in all of the other state courts and not one case came up stating anything that imposes knowledge or intentional responsibility on a successor in interest bank for something like this. The contracts you have with the first bank may be found invalid and this could impact your promissory note and guaranties and may even invalidate them, but the successor bank would have no personal liability other than having to release the invalid notes (which is the extreme) or negotiating new valid notes with you (which is the norm ordered by the court).

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”