Richard - Bizlaw
Richard - Bizlaw, Attorney
Experience:  30 years of corporate, litigation and international law
18695994

The Grand Lodge of Washington, Independent Order of Odd Fellows,

The Grand Lodge of Washington, Independent Order of Odd Fellows, sponsor youth groups, which members are from the age of 8 to 18. My question is; Are those groups umbrellaed under the Grand Lodge of Washington's Non-Profit Incorporation Status with the State of Washington? I contacted the Secretary of State Corporation office and they do not know.
Some our adult members think they should be umbrellaed like the Girl Scouts are.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Richard - Bizlaw replied 5 years ago.
Have you consulted with the Grand Lodge to see whether you are considered part of their organization?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I am the Grand Master of The Grand Lodge. This question has never come up before.

That is why I am asking. No one accoiated with the Grand Lodge knows.

If you are sponsoring them under the umbrella of your organization, and you want them to be affiliated with you, then your Board should create a formal resolution setting out what you mean by sponsorship and how someone qualifies to be sponsored. You also need to check your organization's insurance coverage to make sure people who work for the sponsored group and your organization is covered for any liability that could arise from sponsored activities. By doing this you clarify for all concerned the relationship of the activity to your organization, the control you exert over the sponsored activity and are sure that you are covered for any liability that might arise from sponsored activities such as injuries.

This communication is not intended as legal advice. A local attorney should always be consulted for legal advice. No client/attorney relationship is intended or created by this communication.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am not questioning the sponsorship, my question is whether or not, the Youth Group is unbrellaed, under the Grand Lodge's, Washington State Incorporation Status.

Nothing is "umbrellaed" under the corporation automatically. Umbrella is a very vague term and if you do not clearly delineate what your sponsorship means, you might be responsible for some things such as liability if a child is hurt but not umbrellaed for other things such as some standards for how the groups should operate.