How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ellen Your Own Question
Ellen, Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 36714
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
Ellen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am in a very scary situation. I am a sole proprietor and

This answer was rated:

I am in a very scary situation. I am a sole proprietor and have not filed taxes yet for my business because I won't be able to pay for the taxes generated from the revenue. All of my revenues have been drained from paying bills. I am struggling financially. Usually I use Turbotax to do my taxes, but because there is high risk of me being audited, I am considering getting an accountant or tax attorney in case the IRS comes after me. Also, my ledger doesn't seem to matching up. Please tell me what the best course of action should be.

So sorry to hear of your difficult situation. If my answer is not clear to you, I encourage you to ask me for clarification by using the reply button.

Having your tax return professionally prepared by a CPA seems to be your wisest course of action. The CPA can present your information in a format that may have a less likely chance of being audited and may be able to lessen your tax liability. If you are audited, you will want to retain a tax attorney as well as your CPA that prepared the return

Please let me know if you have any questions concerning my answer.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.



I appreciate your response. So what you are saying is that I should only get a tax attorney if I get audited. For the time being, I should get a CPA to help me with my taxes. By the way, can you give me a ballpark as to what I can expect to pay a CPA for the services. Do you think it will cost more than $500 to do my taxes? (I am a private tutor)

Typically a tax attorney would not prepare the actual tax returns- Tax attorneys do more with the issues of tax law then preparing the tax filings. I cannot guess how much a CPA would charge but it would typically be much less than a tax attorney. Regardless of the cost of the CPA, it would typically be significantly less costly than an IRS audit and fines
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I have one more question. Let's assume I do get audited. Could they put me in jail if I cannot pay the fees in full?


Although incarceration may be a penalty for tax fraud, it is not a penalty for inability to pay. The most important thing to distinguish between fraud and inability to pay is filing a tax return
Ellen and 3 other Business Law Specialists are ready to help you