Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Attorney
Experience:  25 years practicing law

I have a lot of medical bills which I was contacted by a company

I have a lot of medical bills which I was contacted by a company saying they could get them reduced drastically or even some completed deleted. I had been looking online for a consolidation company offering to reduce them by 50% and they charged an amount and you made payments through them to the doctors. This company told me they were a group of lawyers and they checked the bills for errors and if they were incorrect then they weren't legal and they could be dropped all together. For the other ones they said they would work to get the businesses to accept a certain percentage. How do I know I can trust this company and they are legitimate before I turn over my bills and personal information to them? Can I check with the Better Business Bureau or get proof they are for real?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 2 years ago.

DearCustomer- There are lots of companies promising all sorts of things and sometimes they are able to achieve at least some success. I am not able to recommend anyone from this website and the Better Business Bureau is a good source to use to see if a company is at least legitimate and if there are any complaints against them. Don't be fooled by advertising since anyone can pay for an ad.

The debt consolidation companies are generally more successful when there are numerous small debts rather than on very large one. The reason for this is that in order to settle for 50-60% there has to be at least that much money available.

The way these companies generally operate is to have you pay them a monthly payment and when you build up enough money in an account they make an offer to a creditor. If the debt is say $1000 all you would need is $500-600 in order for a settlement offer so all of the small debts can be settled one by one. If you just have one very large debt of say $10000 you would need to build up at least half of that which can take forever. In the meantime the creditor will likely file a suit since they are not bound to wait and are under no obligation of the debt consolidation company.

I can't tell you what to do except to check the company our with the BBB to at least know if they are reputable.

Dave Kennett, Attorney
Experience: 25 years practicing law