How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 111467
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
10285032
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I started an LLC with 3 other people; however I am the only

This answer was rated:

I started an LLC with 3 other people; however I am the only one that has invested $10k. I am looking at brining in another person that will add alot of value to the company but now wants some ownership/share of the company greater than 15%. Is this normal? what is the best way to divide shares of the company?
The percentage of ownership is negotiable of course, but if they are bringing in that type of value to the LLC then that is something the members must weigh. As far as is it normal, there is no real "normal" here, it is based on what they believe their contributions are worth and what you believe they will be worth to the LLC.

It will require the members to negotiate as to what percentage of the LLC they will be willing to give up to attract this asset to the LLC. Generally, if there are 5 members, each member would get an equal interest of 20% unless they negotiate for different percentages.


I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I always thought the Founder of the business should hold onto 51%. If that is the case what are some ways to divy up the remaining 49% so to not insult any of the original members that have contributed to the development of the business? Any suggestions?

That is not by any law. That is something people forming LLC's do to try to retain control over the LLC. But again, the presumption in the law is if there are 5 members, each would be presumed to have 20% unless there is some written agreement to the contrary.

In a case like this, it is all negotiation as to percentages and if the founder refuses to give up any shares of interest, then you may not be able to give this person what they want and you will have to pass. As I said, it depends on how bad you want the person and how little they are willing to take.
Law Educator, Esq. and other Business Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Business Law Questions