Richard, Attorney
Experience:  32 years of experience practicing law and a businessman.
17027240

Im not sure this is the right forum for me to be asking this

Im not sure this is the right forum for me to be asking this question.. My husband is being sued by a man who wants 30% of his comission. This man had nothing to do with brokering the sale. He was an interpreter for the buyer. After closing documents had been sighned, the man called one evening to say that he wanted this 30% for a man who controlled the buyers money... weird right? So he says my husband should do this if he want future buisness from the buyer. My husband asks for the mysterious mans info. The interpreter man gives my husband and his boss of brokerage firm info of this man. Now this was my husbands first big deal and his boss lead him thruogh all the questions.. and, told him to write a vauge email thats states He will give 1% to this Mysterious party but needs to speak with him first.. at which point no commision was ever given to the myserious man because there was never any contact with him..its been 200days we hvnt been served.. should we settle b4 being served?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.

Good evening. You don't want to do anything until you've actually been served. First, you are not going to get served because they cannot sustain this claim against you. Second, you can always settle...the cost of settling is not going to go up because they have no valid legal claim. If you chase them, you end up simply negotiating against yourself and show weakness...you don't want to do that. Just sit tight...and most likely you'll never hear anything.

I hope this has given you the guidance you were seeking. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

The information given here is not legal advice. As all states have different intricacies in their laws, the information given is general only. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

Richard, Attorney
Experience: 32 years of experience practicing law and a businessman.