Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
10285032

Regarding the last question I asked you about the 1099-c. I

Regarding the last question I asked you about the 1099-c. I checked on the county tax assessor's website and the property is still in my name. Have they forgiven the debt and can I sell the property.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 years ago.
If their lien is still on the deed, no you cannot sell it especially if they have foreclosed and gave you the 1099. Many times these mortgage companies never get around to filing to change the deeds, but if you do sell by quit claim then the buyer could sue you for the sale. You need to do some investigation to determine why they have not changed the deed because they need to do so.