Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
10285032

I had a debt collector contact me through the mail. I sent

Customer Question

I had a debt collector contact me through the mail. I sent them back a letter stating that I want a letter of validation from them on the proposed debt i owe. They sent back an invoice from Tmobile that had a last bill date of august 2006 I am in california, has the statue of limitations passed? if so what can i do so they can drop this case and what can I do to drop it from the credit report?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 years ago.
Yes, the statute of limitations has passed in California. The statute of limitations is 4 years on written contracts. You need to send them a letter telling them that pursuant to the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act you deny owing this debt and that the debt is also time barred debt under the CA 4 year statute of limitations. You need to inform them that as it is time barred debt, you are demanding they cease and desist any further contact regarding the debt except to acknowledge this demand and tell them failure to do so will be a violation of the Act and you will pursue legal action by suing for up to $1000 per violation plus attorney's fees and filing a complaint with the federal Fair Trade Commission as provided for under the Act.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer (EVEN IF YOU ARE A SUBSCRIPTION MEMBER). This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

PLEASE NOTE WELL: IF YOU CLICK OPT OUT I CANNOT REPLY TO YOUR FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND YOU MAY NEVER GET ANY REPLY OR IT WILL DELAY MY ABILITY TO REPLY TO YOU. Also, if you use RELIST, I MAY NOT SEE YOUR RESPONSE AND IT WILL DELAY YOUR REPLY.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

YOU CAN ALSO GO TO http://www.justanswer.com/lp/19qy-PaulMJD and request me.