BizLawyerNate
BizLawyerNate, Attorney
Experience:  7 Years of Legal Experience Representing Small Business Owners
11217539

Is the fictitious name The Center for Psychological Fitness

Is the fictitious name "The Center for Psychological Fitness" too similar to an existing company's corporate and "dba" name, "The Center of Psychological Effectiveness". <br /><br />Additional info: I just read that I was required to publish the name in a local forum, which I did not do prior to registering (thinking the registration and lack of similar name in the registry was sufficient). Does this change the potential answer?
Thank you for your question.

The only standard is whether the name is "confusingly similar". The terms "Center" and "Psychological" are rather generic, standard words in the trade that would not garner trademark protection. "Effectiveness" and "Fitness" are not similar. I don't see a problem with your fictitious name from a legal perspective.

I don't see how registered would affect things one way or another.

I will be happy to follow up with you if you have additional questions. In the meantime, please click ACCEPT so that I can get credit for answering your question.

Thanks!

Nathan Moore