Loren, Attorney
Experience:  30 years experience representing clients .
17897874

I sit on the board of a Pennsylvania non-profit with 9 members.

Customer Question

I sit on the board of a Pennsylvania non-profit with 9 members. There is no reference in the by-laws to voting rights of board members. The president has historically cast his/her vote as a tie-breaker. Some board members believe president has a vote ONLY in case of a tie, others believe the president always has a vote and said vote can be used to create a tie though not a second time to break that tie. Your insight is appreciated.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Loren replied 5 years ago.
There is no provision in the Pennsylvania corporation statutes which prohibit the president voting only in a tie breaker situation. So, therefore, the president may vote with other directors. Your next step, however, in the interest of efficient management is to form a committee to develop and present bylaws to be adopted by the board of directors.