Richard - Bizlaw
Richard - Bizlaw, Attorney
Experience:  30 years of corporate, litigation and international law
18695994

This question relates to business licensure in Virginia. Im

This question relates to business licensure in Virginia. I'm a Web developer (S Corp) in DC. I want to submit a response to an RFP for Louisa County in VA. One of the conditions of the RFP is that respondents be properly registered and licensed to transact business in Virginia. Do I need some kind of license in order to do consulting and provide software to a County government in VA?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Richard - Bizlaw replied 5 years ago.

bizlaw :

I think what they want is that your corporation be qualified to do business in Virginia. This is not a difficult process and you can generally use the office of your registered agent in VA as your office. That is the license that is being referred to.

If this answer is responsive to your question, please accept it. That is how we are compensated. I would also be appreciated if you provided feed back on your view of the answer. Finally, if the answer was especially helpful you can provide a bonus. If I can be of further assistance or you have other questions in the future you can ask for me and reach me at this site.

This communication is not intended as legal advice. A local attorney should always be consulted for legal advice. No client/attorney relationship is intended or created by this communication

.

.

Customer :

Wow, 5 seconds of Web searching told me this much. As I said, I'm a DC based Web Developer. I did not indicate anywhere in my message that I have a registered agent in VA, nor do I. If I did, I would not have asked this question.

Customer :

Wow, 5 seconds of Web searching told me as much as your answer. As I said, I'm a DC based Web Developer. I did not indicate anywhere in my message that I have a registered agent in VA, nor do I. If I did, I would not have asked this question. My question is, does a consulting firm like mine need a registered office in a state to have clients in that state.

bizlaw :

What my response meant was that you would have to qualify to do business in VA. To qualify you would have to have a registered agent in VA. What I suggested was that you use the office of the registered agent as your office in VA to qualify to bid.

.

.