TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Licensed to Practice Law

I borrowed money from a company as an individual when I was

I borrowed money from a company as an individual when I was in business, the business closed and I did not pay it all back. The company filed suit (out of state) and issued summons. I want to respond pro-se and avoid summary judgement. Is this something I can work out with you and proceed accordingly and what will be the app. cost
Category: Business Law
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 3 years ago.
Hi. I can answer your legal questions for you, but I cannot represent you or draft any documents.

Do you have a legal question?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I will forward you the paperwork

IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON

PLAINTIFF
NO. SUMMONS

VS

DEFENDANTS

TO THE DEFENDANTS. A LAWSUIT HAS BEEN STARTED AGAINST YOU IN THE ABOVE ENTITLRD COURT BY PLAINTIFF'S CLAIMS ARE STATED IN THE WRITTEN COMPLAINT, A COPY WHICH IS SERVED UPON YOU WITH THE SUMMONS.
IN ORDER TO DEFEND AGAINST THIS LAWSUIT , YOU MUST RESPOND TO THE COMPLAINT BY STATING YOUR DEFENSE IN WRITING, AND BY SERVING A COPY UPON THE PERSON SIGNING THIS SUMMONS WITHIN 20DAYS OR 60 DAYS AFTER SERVICE IF OUT OF STATE(I AM OUT OF STATE) OR A DEFAULT JUDGEMENT MAY BE ENTERED AGAINST YOU WITHOUT NOTICE. IF YOU SERVE A NOTICE OF APPEARANCE ON THE UNDERSIGNED PERSON, YOU ARE ENTITLED TO NOTICE BEFORE A DEFAULT JUDGEMENT MAY BE ENTERED.
YOU MAY DEMAND THAT THE PLAINTIFF FILE THIS LAWSUIT WITH THE COURT. IF YOU DO SO, THE DEMAND MUST BE IN WRITING AND MUST BE SERVED UPON THE PERSON SIGNING THIS SUMMONS WITHIN 14 DAYS AFTER YOU SERVE THE DEMAND, THE PLAINTIFF MUST FILE THIS LAWSUIT WITH THE COURT ,OR THE SERVICE ON YOU OF THIS SUMMONS AND COMPLAINT WILL BE VOID.
IF YOU WISH TO SEEK THE ADVICE OF AN ATTORNEY IN THIS MATTER, YOU SHOULD DO SO PROMPTLY SO THAT YOUR WRITTEN RESPONSE, IF ANY, MAY BE SERVED ON TIME.
THIS SUMMONS IS ISSUED PURSUANT TO RULE 4 OF THE SUPERIOR COURT CIVIL RULES OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON.
DATED THIS 8 DAY OF AUGUST ,2008 BY

QUESTION TO YOU
I AM NOT GOING TO HIRE A LAWYER, BUT I DO WANT TO AVOID THE DEFAULT JUDGEMENT AND I WILL REPRESENT MYSELF.CAN YOU WALK ME THROUGH THE PROCEEDINGS AND IF SO ABOUT HOW MUCH COULD IT COST. OR SHOULD I GO TO AN ATTORNEY WHICH COULD PROVE VERY EXPENSIVE. WHAT CAN THEY DO TO ME IF THEY PROCEED THE MONEY INVOLVED IS $41,000. I AM BUT A WORKING MAN MAKING $45,000/YR. NO ASSETS.

Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 3 years ago.

Hi again.

Unfortunately, I cannot walk you through the proceedings. You’ll need to hire a local attorney for that. I can only answer your general legal questions.

If the creditor proceeds in court aginst you, then it may receive a judgment, which would generally entitle it to garnish your wages, put a lien on your real estate, and levy your bank accounts. However, if you have none of those things, then there’s not much the creditor can do to you (i.e., there’s no debtors prison). Of course, judgments can last decades if they’re renewed, so if you accumulate assets in the future, the creditor can still go after you. Because of that, you may want to consider filing for bankruptcy to eliminate the debt. Your credit will be destroyed … but then again, by the time the creditor gets a judgment against you, your credit is already likely to be very damaged.

Have I satisfactorily addressed your concerns? If not, then please feel free to ask for clarification.

If the information that I provided is helpful, then please remember to click the green accept button so that I will receive credit and compensation for my time. Positive feedback is always appreciated as well. Thank you and good luck!

DISCLAIMER: Please be aware that only an attorney licensed in your state is authorized to advise you in legal matters, and that the limitations of this setting may prevent your legal issues from being thoroughly addressed. Accordingly, please understand that (1) by answering your question(s) I am not acting as your attorney, (2) my answer(s) should be construed as general information only, and (3) our discussion is not an adequate substitute for an in-person consultation with an attorney.

TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience: Licensed to Practice Law