Maverick, Attorney
Experience:  20 years of professional experience

I have a Delaware registered LLC where Im the sole owner.

I have a Delaware registered LLC where I'm the sole owner. I'm planning on seeking angel funding to expand my business. How do I go about structuring the business from a legal perspective? Do I need to make the investors partners in the LLC (if so, what kind of documentation do I need to prepare) or are investors and their allocations handled in a different way? BotXXXXX XXXXXne, how do I from a legal perspective give the investors their allocations (which will be preferred stock or a convertible note)? Is there a step-by-step guide to this?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer! My name isXXXXX very much enjoy what I do and I hope that you will benefit from this information.

If you give them a note then they are not really going to be "members" in your LLC. They are just going to be a lender like a bank and not have any say in management of the company. But, they will also not have a duty to share losses or have a right to any % of the profits.

If you want them to be investors where they get a direct or indirect say in management and share in profits and losses then you make the members of the LLC. To do this you will need to have a LLC operating agreement for them to sign and you will need to issue membership certificates:

If you need more clarification or follow up information, please feel free to write back as there is no extra charge. Otherwise, please click on the ACCEPT button. Even if you have put in your payment information, I receive no credit for my time unless you press "ACCEPT".

Sometimes the law does not give you the outcome that you may have anticipated. Please understand that this is not the attorney's fault. We are assuming that you are paying for an honest and professional opinion.

Please know that there may be a delay between your follow up question and my answers because I may be helping other customers in the meantime. Rest assured, I will get back to you.

If you feel that I went an extra step to help, a bonus would be greatly appreciated!

This information is provided so you may better discuss legal issues with your attorney. Consult a local attorney for legal advice before acting. You may be able to find an attorney in your area to further assist you at or at .

You can always request me for a future question by starting your new question with "This question is for Maverick".