BizLawyerNate
BizLawyerNate, Attorney
Experience:  7 Years of Legal Experience Representing Small Business Owners
11217539

I have a bar in newark, NJ. About 20 State police raided my

I have a bar in newark, NJ. About 20 State police raided my business and checked everybodies I.D. and flipped everything upside down. They confiscated all my permits associated with the bar and did not present any warrants of any sorts upon the search. On top of this, they arrested me for a supposed warrant that I had. My family needed to post bail of $350. The police came out empty handed on the search. I asked what was the warrant about? They said dont worry about and never got an answer from them. Is this all legal? They harrased all my clients and I now need to wait for ABC to open back my business.
Thank you for your question.

In order to legally search your premises, they had to have a warrant and had to present it to you when the search began. The ID check was okay, but the over-the-top search was not. There has to be a reason to confiscate your permits as well, which they were obligated to inform you of for due process reasons. I think you've got a legitimate complaint against the state here.

I will be happy to follow up with you if you have additional questions. In the meantime, please click ACCEPT so that I can get credit for answering your question.

Thanks!

Nathan Moore