Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
10285032

Can an Illinois Wine & Spirits distributor sponsor an event

Can an Illinois Wine & Spirits distributor sponsor an event at a restaurant, bar or banquet hall and pay the proprietor for use of the facility and at the same time request the owner to purchase alcoholic beverages for the event. The price paid for use of the facility would be the same price charged to any other user of said facility. Also, would the distributor be allowed to pay for the performance of a entertainer for the same event.<br /><br />Relevant law:<br />http://www.ilga.gov/commission/jcar/admincode/011/011001000002800R.html<br />The Illinois code sort of addresses this issue. In Chapter 43 paragraph 122 section 6-5 the code states:<br /><br />"Except as otherwise provided in this Section, it is unlawful for any person having a retailer's license or any officer, associate, member, representative or agent of such licensee to accept, receive or borrow money, or anything else of value, or accept or receive credit (other than merchandising credit in the ordinary course of business for a period not to exceed 30 days) directly or indirectly from any manufacturer, importing distributor or distributor of alcoholic liquor"
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 6 years ago.
If you look at TTP3 from IL, at http://www.state.il.us/lcc/docs/tpp.htm#TPP3 it outlines the procedure to follow where you CAN sponsor events. So yes, there is a way for you to sponsor an event as long as you follow the procedures in the guidelines.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer (EVEN IF YOU ARE A SUBSCRIPTION MEMBER). This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

PLEASE NOTE WELL: IF YOU CLICK OPT OUT I CANNOT REPLY TO YOUR FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND YOU MAY NEVER GET ANY REPLY OR IT WILL DELAY MY ABILITY TO REPLY TO YOU. Also, if you use RELIST, I MAY NOT SEE YOUR RESPONSE AND IT WILL DELAY YOUR REPLY.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

YOU CAN ALSO GO TO http://www.justanswer.com/lp/19qy-PaulMJD and request me.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
So then are you of the opinion that no payments can be made to the retailer for any services or products (for example: banquet hall rental; paying for food prepared by reatailer) by the distributor.

Thanks again for you response.
I am of the opinion that if you follow the procedures in the guideline from the Liquor Commission I provided you can hold the events. It is just a matter of following that procedure.