Ellen, Attorney
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.

I believe I have found a pattern of missing funds from a bank

I believe I have found a pattern of missing funds from a bank account from 2002. I have the statements, and there is no evidence of any account activity, yet the balance drops 3 months in a row. As you can imagine, the bank was less than thrilled to hear from me about a potential issue from 2002.

Is there a statute of limitations on researching and correcting this type of bank error?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for your question. I am happy to assist you.

I am a lawyer with 25 years experience. While I am not your lawyer and do not represent you, I will endeavor to provide you with legal information through this open and nonconfidential forum.

There are several actions that may ensue regarding the bank error. The statute of limitations will be different for each type of action. For example the statute of limitations for fraud is 6 years In Maine. However the statute of limitations for breach of contract in Maine is 20 years.