Jane T (LLC)
Jane T (LLC), Attorney
Experience:  Worked in corporation's law department; business formations, formalities, and other business matters
2911261

Peter signs a contract with a tour company that reads as follows Fun

Peter signs a contract with a tour company that reads as follows:
Fun Times Travel will provide the customer with airline travel to and from Washington and with seven night's accommodations at the Happy Holiday Hotel. This package includes a half-day city tour and one day's admission to the museum of the customer's choice. Also included is one ticket to a Major League Baseball game if there are any home games during the trip. Peter later claims that before the contract was signed, he was told that he would be staying at the downtown Happy Holiday Hotel, which is much nicer than the suburban Happy Holiday Hotel where the tour company plans for him to stay. Peter also claims that the tour company told him that meals are included and that he could substitute a second day of museum admission for the baseball ticket, both of which the tour company denies. Can Peter present evidence of his claims?

Jane T (LLC) :

Hi, Is this for school?

Customer :

yes,, it is my homework... and I am just having hard time to understnad

Customer :

this is first time I am doing law class.

Jane T (LLC) :

Hi, I am working on it - just a few minutes

Customer :

thanks

Jane T (LLC) :

The issue here is that of contract law and specifics. A court will evaluate a contract and interpret it only on the basis of what its langauge states under the four corners test. The matters Peter is discussing regarding the hotel, the meals, and the second day of museum exhibit were oral comments made to Peter, not a written agreement written into the contract he signed. The parol evidence rule indicates that no evidence of oral or outside agreements that are not reflected in the four corners of the signed contract will be accepted to vary the terms of a contract. Unless Peter was able to get some documentation, signed by the company, that states what he claims he was promised, he will not be able to present that evidence to vary the terms of his contract.

Customer :

?

Jane T (LLC) :

What do you have questions about - what part is not making sense?