Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney

I have an online business where I sell DVDs. I accept my payments

I have an online business where I sell DVDs. I accept my payments through PayPal. PayPal just suspended my account because I couldn't send them a copy of my photo id (I live in Chicago, so I don't have a drivers license). I mentioned this online in a forum and I've gotten an e-mail from someone who said they don't use their PayPal account and they would sell it to me for $100.00. I just want to make sure this is legal before proceeding?

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

Selling or transferring a Paypal account to a third party is a violation of Section 15.4 of the User Agreement. Paypal has a right to cancel the account if that happens, so you're taking the risk that you're paying for something that you won't even be able to use.

Something else to think about, though, is that if it's his account, he'll still be able to access it. That means that he can log in, and withdraw all of your money. If you verify bank accounts through Paypal, he'll be able to withdraw money from your accounts and send it to himself. Even if you change the password, if he controls the email address, he'll have the ability to either change it or have it closed.

Legality aside, it's probably a better idea for you to simply get a state issued ID from Illinois. For one thing, you're paying $100 for something that you could get for $20. The state issues cards at local Driver Services Facility. This site has more information:

Edited by Lucy, Esq. on 2/2/2011 at 5:40 PM EST