Ellen, Attorney
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.

I want to find out about my rights at my business condo, which is located in Ann Arbo

Customer Question

I want to find out about my rights at my business condo, which is located in Ann Arbor, Michigan, in the basement of an office condo with 18 other condos in it. I am being charged equal to the upper level floors based on square feet, but I have not been able to sell the condo since the fee is so high and it is in the basement level.
I originally bought the unit as a foreclosure, since the condo fees were too high and the realtor told me that. I have invested over 100000 in improvements, including an 18 ft. atrium to bring in light, so the space is now very nice and comfortable.
Realtors have told me basements are less than 70% of the value of the upper floors. Since there are 18 businesses I am currently being charged 12.8% of the building costs. The condo fee is $239 more than my mortgage payments.
The condo board will not address my concerns after repeated attempts. I have tried to talk with them for 13 years but they are like a club.
Is there a national board or a state b
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for your question. I am happy to assist you.

I am a lawyer with 25 years experience. While I am not your lawyer and do not represent you, I will endeavor to provide you with legal information through this open and nonconfidential forum.

Condominium assessments are divided among the condominium owners as provided in the Bylaws. The bylaws are seen by the law as a contract between the owners. The division is not governed by statute. Therefore if the bylaws divide the assessments based upon square footage -- which is typical-- unfortunately there is nothing that you can do.

Sorry that the law is not in your favor. Please do not shoot the messenger.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.