Law Pro, Attorney
Experience:  20 years experience in business law - sole proprietor, partnership, and corporations
11688690

Whats the bounce check law in new jersey Also what options

Whats the bounce check law in new jersey?Also what options do I have regarding getting paid.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Pro replied 3 years ago.
Please explain if the checked "bounced" or NSF was noted on the check OR there was a "stop payment" on the check.

Too, who was the check from - an individual or company?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It NSF noted check and I have a business so it was from a customer/individual.
Expert:  Law Pro replied 3 years ago.
Then you have to send them a notice to make the check good. If they don't then you can file criminal charges.

The statute is:

Under 2A:32A-1 of the New Jersey Statutes, any person who issues a check which is subsequently dishonored for lack of funds or credit to pay, or because the issuer does not have an account with the drawee, may be liable for the face amount of the check, attorney fees, court costs, costs of mailing a demand for payment, and damages in an amount equal to $100.00 or triple the amount of the check, whichever is greater, but not to exceed $500.00. The holder of a bad check may seek damages under this provision if he send a required written demand for payment to the maker of the bad check and the maker fails to pay the face amount of the bad check in cash or by cashier's or certified check within 35 days from the date of the written demand. The written demand must be sent by certified mail to the bad check maker's last known address, and shall be in the following form and printed in both the English and Spanish languages:

DEMAND FOR PAYMENT OF DISHONORED CHECK

DATE:.............................................
TO:..................................................
(NAME OF MAKER [person who wrote the check] )

WARNING: YOU MAY BE SUED IF YOU DO NOT MAKE PAYMENT OF THE AMOUNT SHOWN ON THIS NOTICE WITHIN 35 DAYS AFTER THE DATE THIS NOTICE WAS MAILED.

.................................................................................................................
LAST KNOWN RESIDENCE ADDRESS OR PLACE OF BUSINESS

OUR CHECK/DRAFT/ORDER IN THE AMOUNT OF $...............DATED............., PAYABLE TO XXXXX ................................ HAS BEEN DISHONORED BY THE BANK OR OTHER DEPOSITORY UPON WHICH IT HAS BEEN DRAWN BECAUSE:

....THE MAKER HAD NO ACCOUNT WITH SUCH BANK OR DEPOSITORY

....THE MAKER HAD INSUFFICIENT FUNDS ON DEPOSIT WITH SUCH BANK OR DEPOSITORY

IF YOU DO NOT MAKE PAYMENT WITHIN 35 DAYS AFTER THE DATE THIS NOTICE WAS MAILED, YOU MAY BE SUED TO RECOVER PAYMENT. IF A JUDGMENT IS RENDERED AGAINST YOU IN COURT, IT WILL INCLUDE NOT ONLY THE ORIGINAL FACE AMOUNT OF THE CHECK/DRAFT/ORDER, BUT ALSO ADDITIONAL LIQUIDATED DAMAGES OF NOT LESS THAN ONE HUNDRED DOLLARS ($100) NOR MORE THAN THE FACE AMOUNT OF THE CHECK/DRAFT/ORDER PLUS FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARS ($500).

PLEASE MAKE PAYMENT IN THE AMOUNT OF $..............TO: ............................ (NAME OF PAYEE) ......................................... ADDRESS TO WHICH PAYMENT SHOULD BE DELIVERED.

It's actually very simple and they have no alternative but to make the check written to you good OR they face criminal prosecution.

Please click on the ACCEPT button for my answer so that I receive credit for assisting you (even if you placed a deposit or have a subscription program). You may continue to ask follow-up questions after accepting. If the information is helpful, I would very much appreciate positive feedback. Bonuses are also appreciated. If you do have a follow-up question, press REPLY, NOT relist, or else I won’t receive the question.
Law Pro, Attorney
Experience: 20 years experience in business law - sole proprietor, partnership, and corporations