FiveStarLaw
FiveStarLaw, Attorney
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
9968427

Hi, I am working at a restaurant and have some questions about the owner.

Hi, I am working at a restaurant and have some questions about the owner. <br />I am just a cook, and the owner seems to want me to take over his position. He never mentioned that to me directly, but he openly says it at the manager meeting and so on. There are a few other onwers like his ex-wife, and they seem to be convinced and are nice to me. Other workers are sometimes nice sometimes not, it depends on what gossips say. so, what I am wondering is if he can choose me like this legally, and other people can stop his decision somehow? He has no kids and is a strong-mind person.  The owner is about 70yrs old Japanese, me 37yrs old Japanese.  There are other Japanese and ethnics, too.  Thank you very much.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  FiveStarLaw replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your question. I am happy to assist you.

I am a lawyer with 25 years experience. While I am not your lawyer and do not represent you, I will endeavor to provide you with legal information through this open and nonconfidential forum.

Yes the owner can choose you to take over his position unless he has contracted otherwise. The owner may transfer his ownership interest as he sees fit. There are no statutory restrictions on the transfer of ownership of a restaurant.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your answer, Actually there is another question. The owner told one bartender, American guy, that he was considering him as a candidate too. But that was just to make me upset becuase he heard bad rumers about me which were lies. So later on, the owner told bartender that he wants Japanese guy. Now it seems like that bartender and his colleagues are thinking of some legal action. Can they do that? Is there any good way to fix this problem?
Thank you very much.

I do not see a problem that needs to be fixed.The owner has chosen you and not the bartender. I do not see any cause of action for the bartender

J.A. policy requires that you start a new thread for a new question. Please accept the answer and then you may start your new question in a new thread
FiveStarLaw, Attorney
Experience: 25 years of experience helping people like you.