Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Practicing for over 20 years and helped a number of businesses with litigation.

Im creating an internet web portal that will connect clients

Customer Question

I'm creating an internet web portal that will connect clients that want to organize house parties and their guests. Once the guests respond if they are coming or not and what are their preferences for the party, the host will be offered the possibility to buy the supplies through the webpage.

The question is in case of liquor supplies. The webpage will get the money and the order from the client (the host of the party) and send it to a partner liquor store that will directly deliver the liquor to the house of the party host. The question is: is this legal? can it be done without a liquor license (it's in NYC)? in case I don't need a liquor license, do I need to put any disclaimer (eg. only people 21+ can buy, etc.)?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 5 years ago.

JD 1992 :

The screen is showing you are not online so I am going to answer and exit.

JD 1992 :

There is a way to do what you want to do, but probably not the way you are doing it. The current way is probably going to require a liquor license and also opens you up to a lot of liability. You should see a local attorney about the way to organize this as well as the disclaimers you should use.

JD 1992 :

We aren't allowed to give legal advice on here but I can tell you that you can ask the attorney about ways to take a referral fee or a planning fee but the liquor guy still needs to be an independent provider like an independent contractor.

JD 1992 :

With this much liability you will want a corporation formed by a lawyer as well as for all of your agreements to be drafted by the lawyer.