Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
10285032

My former employer is suing me for repayment of tuition reimbursement

My former employer is suing me for repayment of tuition reimbursement I recieved while employed there. I would like to just pay it and move on with my life, but the amount is over $32,000, which is far beyond affordable. Based on their policy, I can't debate the amount they concluded I owe, but do I have any kind of defense? This amount is simply unreasonable.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 years ago.
If they paid for the education they have to prove the amount they are seeking and if they have done so (as you said you can't debate the amount owed) then whether it is an unreasonable amount or not you would be liable to repay it. The best you could do is try to negotiate a "stipulated settlement" or "consent judgment" with a repayment plan for you to pay them back in payments.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer (EVEN IF YOU ARE A SUBSCRIPTION MEMBER). This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

PLEASE NOTE WELL: IF YOU CLICK OPT OUT I CANNOT REPLY TO YOUR FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND YOU MAY NEVER GET ANY REPLY OR IT WILL DELAY MY ABILITY TO REPLY TO YOU. Also, if you use RELIST, I MAY NOT SEE YOUR RESPONSE AND IT WILL DELAY YOUR REPLY.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

YOU CAN ALSO GO TO http://www.justanswer.com/lp/19qy-PaulMJD and request me.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So assume they rule for my employer and say I have to pay them back in full. What can happen if I don't pay them because I don't have the money? Can I go to jail?
If you do not pay them in full, they can seek garnishment of your wages, seek to seize bank accounts or place liens on any property you own (all the time interest will be adding on to what you owe). This is why negotiating some type of stipulated agreement with them is best to get them to waive interest and set up a payment plan (of course if you fail to comply with the payment plan or miss a payment then they would add interest to the whole amount, like an incentive to make payments).