Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
10285032

I signed a contract to purchase a car on 12/21/2010. I was

I signed a contract to purchase a car on 12/21/2010. I was quoted three different amounts for the down payment. I was told $5000 initially, then $7000 and finally $9000. I was told I had to get a particular auto or I would not be financed. An expensive warranty was included, a prepaid car care warranty and a life insurance policy. I have the car and the dealer is waiting for me bring in the $9000. I want to cancel the contract and give them back the car. Is it too late. I have put about 700 miles on the auto. I had agreed to the down payment because I knew it would lower the amount I owed. But with all the extra additions to the dealer, I am right back where I started. I left two checks for the $9000. I was told i needed to leave the checks but they would not be cashed. I had to bring in a certified check to replace the checks. Please tell me how I can break this contract legally
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 6 years ago.
Unfortunately, if you signed the contract agreeing to this contract and the down payment, the courts hold people bound to contracts they signed. It doesn't matter if they told you three different amounts, if you agreed to this one for the $9000, the courts will hold you to that contract. So I am afraid unless the dealer agrees to let you out of the contract, they can enforce it against you.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer (EVEN IF YOU ARE A SUBSCRIPTION MEMBER). This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

PLEASE NOTE WELL: IF YOU CLICK OPT OUT I CANNOT REPLY TO YOUR FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND YOU MAY NEVER GET ANY REPLY OR IT WILL DELAY MY ABILITY TO REPLY TO YOU. Also, if you use RELIST, I MAY NOT SEE YOUR RESPONSE AND IT WILL DELAY YOUR REPLY.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

YOU CAN ALSO GO TO http://www.justanswer.com/lp/19qy-PaulMJD and request me.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

If I return the car, is the contract still binding?

Yes, the contract remains binding. In fact, even if you had never taken the car the contract would be binding once you signed it.