Law Pro, Attorney
Experience:  20 years experience in business law - sole proprietor, partnership, and corporations
11688690

I am the owner of 2 small businesses and one of them is incorporated

I am the owner of 2 small businesses and one of them is incorporated (s-corp). The one that is incorporated I only started a few months ago and I haven't had any sales under it yet. I need to obtain a couple more ein numbers (for separate merchant accounts that I would like to sign up for) and have read that you can obtain multiple ein numbers if you have a series llc. I was going to start the process of changing the status of my incorporated business from s-corp to series llc, but was wondering if there was a simpler way of obtaining 2 new ein numbers? Could I just go to the irs website and create two more?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Pro replied 6 years ago.
Yes, you can get more EIN numbers if you have a series LLC.

However, you need a business to get an EIN number - that if the business already has an EIN number then they will conflict.

Too, using multiple EIN numbers to set up mechant accounts for fictional businesses is fraudulent and potentially criminal. I wouldn't do that unless I was actually setting up a business.

Please click on the ACCEPT button for my answer so that I receive credit for assisting you (even if you placed a deposit or have a subscription program). You may continue to ask follow-up questions after accepting. If the information is helpful, I would very much appreciate positive feedback. Bonuses are also appreciated. If you do have a follow-up question, press REPLY, NOT relist, or else I won’t receive the question.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for the reply. Google Checkout requires a separate EIN number for each merchant account that you want to set up. I sell lots of different products online and would like a separate merchant account for each product category. I would like to know the simplest route to getting two more ein numbers. Changing the status of my business from a s-corp to series llc seems a little complicated. Am I allowed to get two more ein number at the irs website if I have two other businesses?
Expert:  Law Pro replied 6 years ago.
No. What your requesting is in reality just an accounting issue - to be able to differentiate as between product categories.

An EIN is a unique number assigned to your business by the IRS.

An EIN serves a purpose for a business similar to that of a social security number for an individual. An EIN is used on tax returns, business permits, and any applications or forms that request an IRS number to specifically identify your business.

An EIN is unique for the business and a business cannot have multiple EIN numbers.

The only way you could do what your asking is a "series" LLC and then only sell certain products through a certain LLC.