Ellen, Attorney
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.

In Feb of 2009 my husband and I signed a 2 year lease for a

In Feb of 2009 my husband and I signed a 2 year lease for a commercial building with another guy who was going to be bringing in his own items. He starting having financial problems in May of 2009, his home went into foreclosure and on June 25th 2009 he signed a dissolution of lease with us and the contract states that all property, merchandise, and fixtures are to remain property of my husband and I essentially we gave him some money for some items he brought in and we released him from liability of the lease. The landlord however did not make a new lease without him. But we had an agreement between the three people who are listed on the lease he was resolved of any financial obligation. He was having a hard time finding work, so he comes to our store and does some ebay listings for us and we pay him. Everytime we have written a check to him it states for ebay not for our store. My husband decided due to health reasons he was going to put the store up for sale, now he is trying to come in and stake claim to 1/2 of the business which is like a apwn shop and we spend $1000 a day in cash on buys. He has not contributed to one penny of these buys, so my question is does he have any claim?

Thank you for your question. I am happy to assist you.

I am a lawyer with 25 years experience. While I am permitted to provide you with legal information, I am prohibited by and various state bar associations from giving legal advice, representing you or entering into an attorney-client relationship through this open and nonconfidential forum.

It does not appear that the man would have any claim to your business. As per your post he assigned any interest in the lease and business to you

If you would like additional details concerning my answer, please click REPLY and I will be happy to respond. Otherwise please click ACCEPT so that I am paid by the site. Do not click relist as it will delay my response.

Best wishes for a Happy and Healthy New Year!