MShore Law
MShore Law, Attorney
Experience:  Drafted Negotiated and/or Reviewed Thousands of Commercial Agreements
17924466

My wife has been going to University of Phoenix. They keep

My wife has been going to University of Phoenix. They keep asking for more money on top of the student loans. We feel we are being ripped off. What can we do to get out of this situation?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  MShore Law replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for the post, what is the basis of the requests for more money?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

She was told in the beginning that she would have an out of pocket expense of 400 to 500 dollars every 3 to 4 months. Then it was raised to 2000 dollars over the same period because they said that some of her credits didn't transfer from her previous school. Which was USC in California, by the way. So once the credits didn't transfer she couldn't get as much financial aid and then more money was needed. They then told her she couldn't attend anymore classes until that amount was paid. After this happened. I looked into this place and found that these degrees are basically useless.

thank you, XXXXX XXXXX that you think you should be entitled to a refund, how long has your wife attended the school per the sums you desire a refund of? Also, I assume you allege fraud or negligent misrepresentation on the school's part, what evidence do you have?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
At this point all we really have is a lot of anectdotal evidence. There are literally hundreds of examples of their bending of the law and misrepresentation online. Many of these examples sound eerily similar to our own. A settlement of almost 80 million dollars was awarded in 2009 for violations similar to our problems. We are going to start gathering all our records. She has attended for approximately one year. I believe that the student loan program disbursed about 10,000 dollars to the school plus about 2000 dollars from our own pocket. My question is how best to proceed. We absolutely do not want to continue doing business with them and don't want any of our next moves to jeopardize a case against them.
Hello, the best way to proceed would be retaining counsel to send a demand letter requesting the return of your money based on your claim of negligent misrepresentation/fraud. Because the amount in dispute is relatively small (legal fees for UoP could easily exceed $12,000 if the matter goes to trial) it is likely to result in a settlement offer.
MShore Law, Attorney
Experience: Drafted Negotiated and/or Reviewed Thousands of Commercial Agreements