Ellen, Attorney
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.

Hi, I filed corporation papers in Michigan in Nov. 2007 and

Hi, I filed corporation papers in Michigan in Nov. 2007 and also received an EIN number. I have filed state reports for the corp each year and Michigan has it listed as active. I never filed income tax forms because I never earned any income, nor generated any business through it; it basically is a "shelf corporation". I now am wanting to use it to establish business credit (my own credit is in the toilet). How do I find out if I owe any tax liability or if there are any liens on the corp (possibly due to my own poor credit and the address being the same)? I don't really want to contact the IRS directly and awaken that sleeping giant.

Thank you for your question. I am happy to assist you.

I am a lawyer with 25 years experience. While I am permitted to provide you with legal information, I am prohibited by and various state bar associations from giving legal advice, representing you or entering into an attorney-client relationship through this open and nonconfidential forum.

Provided that your corporation did not conduct business and did not earn money, no Federal income taxes would have become payable.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Your answer is good but only part of the information; I need to know if there could be any liens on the corporation because of my own poor credit;

How can I find out this information?

It does not appear possible for there to be a lien on the corporation because of your credit.

A creditor must first file suit and obtain a judgment against you in order for there to be a lien for an unpaid debt. The creditor would then need to file the lien against the shares that you own in the corporation.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'm somewhat concerned because we relocated and may not have received any notice of any suits or liens. Is there a way to look for any legal issues or liens?
You could pull your own credit report to see if any judgments have been issued against you.

It has been my pleasure to work with you

Thank you in advance for remembering to click accept. If you experience difficulty using the accept button, please let me know as JustAnswer pays me for my time only if the "accept" registers..

Please let me know if I can assist you in the future by requesting me directly.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Pulling a full credit report will take too long. Can I contact the county records office; would liens be listed there?
Yes. Liens would be recorded at the County records office