Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.

Im under investigation for creating a hostile work environment

Customer Question

I'm under investigation for creating a hostile work environment at my business, I work as a supervisor for Fresno County, California. The business investigated me for 14 months. Do I have a statutes of limitations defense and what codes should I cite for here in California?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 3 years ago.
There are time limits in the Police Bill of Rights, but if you are not covered by that Bill, then the courts hold that a "reasonable time" is one that depends on the circumstances and complexity of the investigation, but typically unless they show some extenuating circumstances 7 months is usually the outside of what a court will consider as reasonable. If you are not protected by a union, in which case your contract can specify the time for investigation and even if it does not the union could file a grievance for unreasonable time for the investigation to be conducted. However, absent a union contract provision or civil service provision and outside of the bill of rights, I am afraid there is no law preventing them from taking so long on an investigation and what happens is that if they try to take action against you on something from that investigation, then your argument would be in court over the reasonableness of the time of the investigation and the court would be your remedy to determine that the time from the alleged violation to any discipline was unreasonable.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer (EVEN IF YOU ARE A SUBSCRIPTION MEMBER). This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

PLEASE NOTE WELL: IF YOU CLICK OPT OUT I CANNOT REPLY TO YOUR FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND YOU MAY NEVER GET ANY REPLY OR IT WILL DELAY MY ABILITY TO REPLY TO YOU. Also, if you use RELIST, I MAY NOT SEE YOUR RESPONSE AND IT WILL DELAY YOUR REPLY.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

YOU CAN ALSO GO TO http://www.justanswer.com/lp/19qy-PaulMJD and request me.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Paul, I was investigated by my Department because an Office Assistant here was being investigated for poor performance allegations. She and I had a consentual relationship from 01-06 to 12-06. During her interview she claimed emotional duress that although I did not sexually harass her, I created a hostile work environment for her. I attempted to submit a witness list that I was in fact the victim as she runs from the room when i'am present or leaves her work space due to hearing my voice etc. she has also told other personnel that I took advantage of her while she was at a vulnerable place in her life. Our relationship was 4 years ago and she is using me as a scape goat to her dilema. My department refused to call any of my witnesses for the IA investigation and found me guilty of "Hostile Work Environment." Their investigation started 09-02-09 and concluded 10-05-10 and I was demoted. I know that there has to be some statute of limitation under some code suach as the California Government Code. Maybe it is a Fair Labor Standards Act, California Labor Code law, California Public EmployeeRelations law. I have an officer who was demoted earlier this year but it was thrown out due to "statutes of limitations" that is why I'm posing the question. The department will not allow me to look at his record and he has requested it for me with no response.
The statute of limitations on a sexual harassment case is one year from the date of the last incident (see: Cal. Gov. Code § 12960 (d)). Government Code 3304 also provides a 1 year statute of limitations to provide you with a Notice of Adverse Action in an internal investigation (see also: In Re: Paul Sulier, CA SPB Case 01-2626).
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Paul I already researched California Government Code 3304(d). Again as I stated earlier, Penal Code 830 does not include me in this protection.
That is the only code that has a specific time frame and outside of that the courts look at "reasonableness" of the length of the investigation.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Material was already known to me , and as presented does not help me. I have looked into the "Meyers-Milias-Brown Act." I will continue to look at labor codes and others for my region. But thank you..
Material was already known to me , and as presented does not help me. I have looked into the "Meyers-Milias-Brown Act." I will continue to look at labor codes and others for my region. But thank you.