Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
10285032

WHAT IS A FINAL STATUS CONFERENCE IN CALIFORNIA AND WHAT HAPPENS

WHAT IS A FINAL STATUS CONFERENCE IN CALIFORNIA AND WHAT HAPPENS IF I DON'T GO?
The final status conference is where the court urges a settlement once again and then asks the parties to submit what their issues are remaining for trial and if they are able to narrow those issues down and when they will be ready for trial. The court will then set a trial order after trying to convince the parties to settle again. The status conference is just that, for the court to find out if settlement is close or if trial is necessary because there is no hope of settlement.

Each judge has a different requirement for the conference and most will require a written submission of the issues for trial, proposed jury instructions if there is a jury, witness lists and summaries of the arguments and caselaw being relied upon. You need to check with the clerk for the particular judge's format. If you do not go, then the court doesn't know you are read or not for trial and will end up taking whatever the other party submits to proceed to trial and could then exclude what you have to submit as punishment for not attending the conference.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer (EVEN IF YOU ARE A SUBSCRIPTION MEMBER). This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

PLEASE NOTE WELL: IF YOU CLICK OPT OUT I CANNOT REPLY TO YOUR FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND YOU MAY NEVER GET ANY REPLY OR IT WILL DELAY MY ABILITY TO REPLY TO YOU. Also, if you use RELIST, I MAY NOT SEE YOUR RESPONSE AND IT WILL DELAY YOUR REPLY.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

YOU CAN ALSO GO TO http://www.justanswer.com/lp/19qy-PaulMJD and request me.