Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Practicing for over 20 years and helped a number of businesses with litigation.

I am looking for a CASE LAW in California where a Search

Customer Question

I am looking for a "CASE LAW" in California where a Search Engine Optimization (SEO) - aka "Internet Marketing" company got sued by a client.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 3 years ago.
Actually, Google Scholar is very good if you get the search terms right. Can you provide a few more facts as to what happened and the complaint?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I provided SEO services to a clients website to get him keywords ranked on top of google. He is now during me. I need a Case law.
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 3 years ago.
What are you wanting the case law to show?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have arbitration in a Jewish arbitration and they have no clue what SEO is. If they have an understanding via a court ruling it will help me show that Seo takes time for website keyword rankings.

Does this help?
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 3 years ago.
My concern is that what you are looking for does not exist and also that you have a number of question you asked that were answered correctly but were never accepted. I am more than willing to do the research, but sometimes the answer is "there is nothing". SEO is fairly new as far as the law is concerned and it is extremely unlikely that the topic that you are asking about has ever been addressed by a court in California or elsewhere.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It has been. But if you can't come up with one no problem.
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 3 years ago.
When do you need this?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Within a week is fine.
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 3 years ago.
I'll work on it tonight.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok.
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 3 years ago.
As I suspected the topic has been sparsely covered by the courts. I searched for a couple of hours using different terms in different jurisdictions. California has no cases that use the terms "seo" or "search engine optimization". I finally found a few cases in the federal court system that use the terms, but they aren't really on point because what you are looking for is not an issue a court is likely to address because it wouldn't be litigated. The closest case I found is:

http://scholar.google.com/scholar_case?case=2987722947606092936&q=keyword+ranking+%22search+engine+optimization%22&hl=en&as_sdt=2003 (look at Footnote 2)

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. As you know, we work on the honor system here and cannot always provide you answers that you like. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work and leave feedback if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. Please remember that we can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions or for clarifications. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Several customers have asked how they direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to provide information for you just put “FOR JD 1992” in the subject line and I will pick up the next time I am online.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
In receipt. Will review amassed thanks.
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 3 years ago.
Great. I wish there was more but, to the legal system, SEO is new and the cases wouldn't have had the time to make their way up and be reported.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
JD, i appreciate your effort but as i mentioned, I already used Google Scholar and did not find anything, this is why i came here to find a lawyer that can find such a case on the Data Bases available to you via subscription, there are many for attorneys. I would expect an attorney to get me a case from one of those systems as it will have more for what I am looking for.

The link you provided has "nothing to do" with what I asked, its not even remotely connected.

I would love to accept the answer, and i do know there are cases on SEO out there, but I need the case......